Supersampler

I bought this unspeakably expensive camera two years ago on a whim. At that time my collection was only starting to grow and I didn't really know what I was looking for, haven't yet learned what there is to look for and didn't recognize the real worth of cameras available on auction sites. And that's probably why this small, four-lens toy camera gave me quite a bit of joy during the summer of 2008.

Aside from the four lenses, I was probably drawn to the quirky design and those weird drawings on the body. The merchandise that came with it, two Lomography albums and a sleek plastic box, were also a good bait. Plus, he camera was very small and weighed close to nothing, which was an extra treat, since back then, wherever I went, I carried a Canon A-1, equipped with various lenses for various purposes. Not the lightest pack, I must admit. So I made the decision to pay a handsome sum for the Supersampler, which makes me feel kinda weird now, due in part to the fact that I have since formed a strong opinion on Lomography, and that's one which isn't exactly belauding.

But yeah, the camera is fun. You make a click and it takes four slim photos on one frame of 35mm film. It works in two modes: four photos in two seconds or four photos in interval of two seconds between each photo (as far as I remember correctly; the camera won't fire without film inside -- if you want precise information, you'll have to google it). That means you can move around while the camera takes photos: you can wave it, you can throw it in the air, jump around, run towards your subject and do lots of funny stuff which creates a sense of movement and overall dynamic in the photos. Really nice!

The camera has no viewfinder (although it has an attachable rubber frame that I promptly lost), but then again, who needs one for photos like these? The shutter speeds are something like 1/60 but they're not equal. This shows in the photos, as some stripes are better exposed than others. You rewind the film with a stroke of a line (way cool) which also cocks the shutter. Simple. And fun. Take a look.













Oh, and by the way, I am willing to part with my Supersampler. I'd gladly sell it or swap for something equally quirky. So if you think you want a used but completly usable Supersampler, drop me a note.

Comments