Daci Royal developed

A while ago I wrote about a red Daci Royal that I'd just gotten. Yesterday evening, I developed the film put inside on the day the camera had arrived.
In some of the photos you can see motion blur: those are the ones I took without a tripod. The shutter release button is pretty hard to press and the camera is easy to shake in the process, especially that the instant time is around 1/30s. I wonder if everyone in the fifties (when Daci was released) carried a tripod with themselves when they wanted to shoot a clean photo with Daci? Probably not. But well, there's always a tree stump or a wall you can put the camera on. I've found some other interesting quirks of this camera. In the photo of the hairy girl (that's me, hi!), there is a truly beautiful light leak that didn't happen anywhere else on the roll. Then there's something weird about the shape of the photos. If you look closely at the bottom of the second photo, you will find an arched black area. This happened in all the photos, probably due to misalignment of the film plane with the back of the camera. I cropped that area in other shots. Focusing of the lens has little to do with where the sharpness happens to show in the photo. The last shot, for example, was taken with the lens set to 10 meters. You can believe me or not, but this is the balcony of my block of flats' first floor and hence, not more than 5 m. The distance for portraits was precisely measured with a rangefinder camera and the lens set accordingly. I can't see much sharpness anywhere in the photos. Still, sharpness is overrated so if you have a Daci, take it for a walk and have fun. It takes terrible photos but it's very cute. You might make new friends. I got lucky and found another red Daci right after the first one. I'm going to swap it for something equally fun (I hope!) with Jamie of InspiredPhotos. So I'm currently waiting for the Daci, a Bessa E Messer and a Purma Special. So much excitement! But those will be last cameras bought this year and that's that. Currently loaded with film are Agfa Ansco Cadet D6 box and Kodak Tourist folder so you can soon expect a few words on those.

Comments

  1. yes, the portraits are definitely the highlights of this set...lovely! hi klara, you could not have presented yourself any better

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment