Gnome Pixie!

The Gnome. The Pixie. He's here. Hush, don't scare him off!

Well, actually, the Pixie is a heavy all-metal box, I don't picture him wimping out. I imagine he'd rather headbutt someone and knock them unconscious, mischievous little thing.

So he's a boxy box. Almost cubical, black and chrome, very elegant. Quite heavy, unexpectedly. I read that there were several variations of the Gnome. Mine seems to be an early example although I'm not sure. There is no leatherette covering, just rough black enamel which would point to early production but no chrome edges suggest otherwise. No matter, such detail is for the geekiest of geeks. For the record, the Pixie was in production around 1950 in Great Britain and that's where he came from to me, in a truly beautiful condition, as you can see for yourselves.

It's a simple camera. Flip up viewfinder. Two shutter settings: I and B. And that's that. It takes 620 film and sadly won't accept 120 so some respooling is bound to happen. The shutter release lever is really hard to move and the instant time is around 1/30, as usual, so I'll have to use a tripod when I intend to shoot. And I do.

Comments

Post a Comment