a shot of life from 2018-19 / Canon A-1

I've had no more history with any other camera than I did with the Canon A-1. It includes losing one unit while abroad in Antwerp years ago in an unexplained fashion --was it forgotten on a bench somewhere? Stolen? We'll never know. I wonder sometimes if one of these days, while casually browsing online photo spaces, I'll find scans of the film it was loaded with at the time. What a pretty circle the mysterious disappearance would have made.

Regardless, though, red faced as I was back then, coming home empty-handed to a furious parent (it really was long ago), I did soon re-purchase it and it's an ever so trusty shooter. While the whole collection waxes and wanes, this one remains in the center, and it will stay there, I'm sure, as a staple. I took my first shots on it in photography school and it was the one I've come back to when the first digital amok faded. Sigh. It really is an anchor, spanning together various periods in my life, so I do get a bit sentimental about it. Sorry about that.

Anyway, turns out I've not been shooting analog much in the past couple of years. I've just gotten the last roll from Canon developed and it starts in late 2018 and ends together with 2019. It was a rough-ish time, if I'm honest. But I did enjoy seeing the photos. The Canon travelled with me through an uprooting of my life at the time, and settling in a temporary home, then we went for a short trip to Berlin, then he accompanied me in a beloved home in the mountains... 2019 ended together with the roll, as we travelled again to another favorite place, secluded far away, where we celebrated the new year (and a new roll. Well, maybe, a little bit).

The new home




The Berlin shots






The mountain home





End of the year



I'm not sure what happened in the last shot. A huge light leak? A back door opened by mistake? A slow shutter? Admittedly, after another year or two of un-use, these days the camera is doing poorly and  is in desperate need of a thorough CLA which I shall soon provide. Fingers crossed the current roll isn't as bad as this.

These were taken on Ilford Delta 100, btw. 

Comments

Post a Comment