Zeiss Ikon Signal Nettar 518/16


So, this happened. I don't have my own photo of the camera anymore, nor the camera itself. That's going to be the case with some others, sadly. Hence why the original drawing from the camera's manual, available through Butkus. And since we're already here, grab the link to wiki to compare the specs in the whole long line of Nettars.

Indeed, this one is the last in the line of the amateur medium format folding cameras produced by Zeiss Ikon from 1934 to 1957. It's called the Signal Nettar. The name references a red flag that showed up in the viewfinder to inform you of a released shutter, so you'd know you'd taken a photo and could advance film to the next frame. Spiffy, I know.

Nettar 518/16 (it also has a number) came with a Novar-Anastigmat 1:4,5 f=75mm, a nicely sharp lens, a good performer I definitely couldn't see the appeal of at the time I had it, around 2010. I think I'd appreciate it more nowadays, I've learned a lot in the mean time, cough, including zone focusing. I don't think I'd repurchase this camera, though, as it's a bit too bare-bones for a late 50s top of the (amateur but still) line folder. It's adequate but extremly basic. I like my cameras with a side quirk or two, and the Signal doesn't offer that excitement, if you disregard its namesake red flag, which I honestly would, as it's not exactly a true wow factor. 

Don't get me wrong. It's a completely decent camera and in a very good price range. It can deliver great results when used properly. If you're an elegant minimalist looking for a cheap 6x6 folder, a late number Nettar could be the one. If you're like me, though, and all about bells and whitles while operating a camera, you should probably keep looking.









(Forgetting to focus the lens is common with cameras that don't remind you you're not seeing through the lens. Still a nice bokeh from the Novar.)

Comments